Thursday, April 22, 2010

You spin me right round baby right round....

The music starts playing and it doesn't matter if I'm on a crowded dance floor or standing alone in my bedroom, I close my eyes and move. I loved the free feeling when I would spin as a child and not have a care in the world. But as adults, I notice how people dancing beside me on the dance floor have a concerned look on their faces.

Old tapes are playing in their adults heads like, "What are people thinking of me as I move? Am I good dancer? Do I look silly?" Is it still OK for adults to spin?

But I won't let those tapes play for me. Dancing is my time to let go and move. In fact when I watch others dance professionally, I can feel my feet moving and my stomach in knots especially when the dancers are incredible.

You can tell, lovely, when someone is an incredible dancer by the control they have over their entire body. From head to toe they are feeling the beat and translating the music into movement.

When I open my eyes and other dancers are not feeling comfortable, I wish I could give them some advice to just... Close your eyes, let go and spin.

How much better would this world be if we had art, dance and song to lean on? I recently had a massage in Calistoga (yes I know I'm a brat) and the masseuse confided in me. I let her know that she had healing hands and appreciated her relaxing me. She then asked me, "Why can't I let myself go and enjoy anymore?" So I told her about my theory of spinning. And you know what she started to spin right there and had a huge smile on her face. So sweetie what do you think about my theory of letting go?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always hope I won't lose my childish abandon, but I know bits and pieces have been withering for a long time now. I hope I can get them back.

Char said...

what an adorable shot!

Anonymous said...

Lovin' that sweet little dress all whirly and twirly. LOL

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Laura said...

Lauren: I know you can sweetie!

Laura said...

Char: love it too Char!!!

Laura said...

Snappy Di: Twirly whirly is the only way to go....