I am excited today to reveal a new series to you. I like to call them the top ten reasons why…. The first few will focus on how I knew I’ve been in a city for too long, i.e. San Francisco, Toronto, New York and London.
And now for Los Angeles my home for twelve years…drum roll please.
10) You are at LAX airport and all of the cars have changed from Prius’ (very common in San Francisco) to Hummers, BMW’s and limos. And you get offered a ride in the limo. (Maybe I should have gone!)
9) After you hear the forecast, saying it’s 72 degrees with some clouds, you think, ”it’s freezing outside. I have to put on another sweater.”
8) As the credits roll, at the end of the movie, the local movie theatre is still full. Viewers are staying to see if they know anyone that worked on the movie i.e. makeup artist, grip, assistant etc.
7) After being invited to a formal dinner party, you go to your closet and try to decide which pair of flip-flops is appropriate for the formal event.
6) At a family event, you overhear the children discussing cell phone options; the children are only ages seven, nine, twelve and thirteen.
5) While driving on the 405 Freeway you pull up next to a very famous basketball player driving a Rolls Royce and it doesn’t even phase you… You just saw Tom Cruise at Starbucks five minutes ago.
4) Your hairdresser, mailman, bank teller, teacher, therapist, waiter, bartender are all working on a ‘promising’ screenplay.
3) You drive your car to the gym even though it’s only a couple of blocks away from your home. You would never be seen walking in L.A.
2) When running late, you tell the white lie, “I’m only twenty minutes away.” You really have twenty miles and two freeways to go.
And the number one reason you know you have lived in Los Angeles too long….
1) You have chosen your ‘Circle of Five’ on your cell phone as your therapist, plastic surgeon, hair stylist, agent and mother (God help us all!).
How do you know if you’ve been in a city for too long? What else would you add to my L.A. list? Go on you can tell me..I won’t tell anyone! And please vote on this list at toptentopten.com