Monday, May 4, 2009

Cable Car Confessions: Top Ten Manners

Ding ding all aboard. "Next stop Powell Street Chinatown. Tickets please show me your tickets please." The locals know the following top ten list of manners and etiquette on the cable car. Some I agree with and others I try to remember to follow. Either way, riding the cable car is my favorite method of public transportation. Wouldn't it be yours if you lived in San Francisco?

I have some questions for the woman I saw applying her mascara the other day, during rush hour on the cable car. Does she know that there are some spoken and unspoken manners and etiquette rules? My cable car confession to you, is that I wish I knew some of the items on this list before I started riding the cable car. It was a lot of fun learning them though. (Click here to get all caught up with the other cable car confessions.)

Top Ten: Manners and Etiquette on the Cable Car

1) Please have your cable car pass and money ready for the cable car conductors. It must get very trying to wait for locals and tourists to search for their passes. Over and over again :)

2) Try to stand at the cable car sign. Do not try to get on the car while standing in the middle of the road. I have heard some cable car drivers yell at those passengers some lovely choice words. 

Trust me, it’s better to not have this happen. I was so embarrassed.

3) The cable car can become packed with people. You can start to feel like a sardine tightly packed in a can. When this happens be aware of your elbows and whose feet you might be stepping on. 

Uh sorry mister man wearing a suit. I didn't mean to elbow you!

4) Ah yes and now we come to 'the quiet and try not to use your cell phone rule.' This rule is more like a courtesy to other passengers. Passengers that are looking for a quiet ride home and because of the tight cable car quarters, can hear everything you’re saying. I need to remind myself of this rule when my friend "Katie" calls to tell me about her guy dating drama. 

Shhhh Laura!

5) Smile and enjoy. A camera is usually needed for the full San Francisco cable car experience.

6) Ask two stops before your stop so the conductors know to slow the cable car down. Having to walk up the San Franciscan hills to your missed destination can be very trying on your knees. 

Trust me.

7) One bell means stop and if you hear two bells the cable car is clear to go. 

I love to hear these bells throughout the day.

8) Please help tourists with directions and pictures. 

I guess this is the 'treat others the way you would like to be treated' rule.

9) While riding on the cable car listen for other cable car confessions. 

Email me.

10) Try to apply your makeup before getting on the cable car. Get up earlier and do it at home. Just know that I wish I could put my mascara on while a cable car is twisting and turning. 

How do you do it without getting it in your eye? 

Looking forward to sharing with you my first chick chat video tomorrow about my life in San Francisco. Did I miss some rules? Comment and tell me ones that I should add.

22 comments:

Mrs Anne said...

SOMEDAY when I visit San Fran, I too, will have cable car confessions for you!

Great list!

:)

Anonymous said...

Never been to SF so I look forward to your video chat.

Laura said...

Miss Anne: So glad to get your comment and we would love for you to come and visit anytime!

Laura said...

lisa: *blush* and sigh. See you tomorrow:)

Dollface said...

omg this is so funny! I look forward to the video chat... ooo we are soo technology wise nowadays! xxoo

Laura said...

Dollface: I know. It scares me sometimes :) Let me know whatcha think. K?

Children of the 90s said...

This is a great idea! And ouch to the mascara incident :(

Char said...

sounds like common sense to me - great rules

Laura said...

Children of the Nineties: Can you imagine? And what if I was trying to put on lipstick :)

Laura said...

Char: If only it was common sense. I am so excited for your guest post this Sunday. It is magical!

Debbie said...

I love riding those cable cars. How fun.

rachaelgking said...

Oooo, SF is on my list of Places I'd Love To Go, Please. Thanks for the etiquette guide! ;-)

Laura said...

Debbie: come ride with me.

Lilu: I am so glad you liked them. They were fun to learn.

♥ Braja said...

That make-up thing is bewildering :)

Love this, Laura...it was like being there, and I can hear the bells ringing too :)

Laura said...

Oh Braja I wish you were. Well in spirit then :)

Linda S. Socha said...

Ah I would love to visit S. F. I think this may be the year!
Linda

Tony said...

Seriously, never pull the rope if you want to get off. The rope is for the guys that work on the cable car, not passengers. I've seen many a tourist get yelled at for pulling the rope.

Laura said...

Linda: That would be so great.

Tony: You are totally right. I guess we have to make mistakes to learn. Thanx for your stop by and comment :)

Unknown said...

i recall having somewhat of a cut-throat experience trying to get onto a cable car...we were so desperate to get on one, and each passing car was too packed to get onto!
xo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am a lipstick applier... I miss S.F. and I enjoy the bells too-- I loved hitting all the districts..

Wallflower Diaries said...

Really how does she not look like a raccoon by the end of the ride. Those hills are steep. Id end up with the wand in my eye. :p