For my birthday, I was given the book The List: 100 Ways to Shake Up Your Life, written by Gail Belsky. I thought this was a wonderful and inspirational birthday gift. It didn’t hurt that the attached birthday card said, ‘to the woman who inspires us.’ This is the kind of book you can’t wait to take home and look through. As my friends all sat around my birthday picnic, I opened the book and read excerpts out loud. My friends kept saying if you’ve done 30 of the 100 things on the list, you’re in good shape. ‘Only 30,’ I thought. I must be able to check off more than 30. Between you and me, I was only able to check 25 items off of the list.
Some of the things that I checked off included:
1) Witnessing childbirth. (I witnessed my half brother and half sister brought into this world. I am forever changed by the experience)
2) Switching careers/go back to school (Does going from child psychology to the world of advertising count?)
3) Riding in a fire truck (It was years ago. I was working with a class of children and I arranged a field trip to our local station. We all loved riding in the fire truck)
4) Lying about something… (I’d tell you, but then I’d have to… well you know)
5) Living with less (If you’re a follower of this blog, you know…)
After reading this book, things I want to do next include:
1) Visiting an Ashram…
2) Swimming with Sea Creatures… (Great Barrier Reef anyone?)
3) Having a child later in life… (I am looking forward to this one!)
4) Spending twenty-four hours in bed (Has anyone really done this?)
5) Writing a novel/build your own website (Ha Ha - look at me!)
The book ended by asking readers to create their own list. I’d love to know what the next five things on your list are? Go on, you can tell me… I won’t tell anyone (unless I’m fibbing)!