Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cable Car Confessions: The Proposal

Ding ding all aboard. "Next stop Powell Street Chinatown. Tickets please show me your tickets please."  I have been getting a lot of requests for a new Cable Car Confession. If you haven't caught up on the past chapters read them here. This confession is about the most perfect and romantic cable car proposal I was lucky enough to witness.

I must be honest with you. I have never gotten into the ABC show The Bachelor. Maybe I am too practical to think that after knowing someone for only 6 weeks you can get engaged on TV only to break up months later out of the public eye. Do I believe in love at first sight? Absolutely, but love at first sight with a camera crew around you, not so much.

Let me share with you what happened last week while riding the Powell/Mason cable car line. I got onto the cable car with my arms filled with heavy groceries and a kind man gave up his seat for me to sit down. (I was very thankful.) The man, dressed in a suit, seemed to be nervous, stood and put his arm around a woman who was also standing up on the cable car.

Right away I knew they were tourists, as I could see there digital camera and map peering out from his pant pocket. The couple was staring out of the cable car window together and enjoying the sights. Then the man caught my eye and kept fidgeting for something in his other pant pocket. Now he really had my interest. He touched whatever was in his pocket and made sure it was still there. A couple of minutes later he checked again. His girlfriend seemed oblivious to his nervousness and was enjoying the ride.

When the man checked his pocket AGAIN I knew what was about to happen. As soon as the cable car went over the hill the man took a deep breath and got down on one knee in front of her. This is not easy to do as the cable car is in constant motion and so his girlfriend thought that he had lost his balance. With a concerned look on her face she went to help him. He had taken out of his pocket the box that he had been checking on.

The woman looked very confused until she saw the shiny ring inside of the box. The cable car conductor quieted the riders on the cable car. I asked the woman if I could borrow her camera to take pictures of their moment.

I could hardly breath and was a little shaky holding her camera. Just like in the movies after the man said some lovely things to her he proposed, she had some tears falling down her face and the ring was placed on her finger. We all cheered for them. 

Once the man stood up, they kissed and I gave my seat back so they could sit down. They were the celebrities for the rest of the ride. Once they had calmed down, I asked them a few questions. They told me they were visiting from New York City. His now fiancee had always wanted to visit San Francisco and she had never been on a cable car. He had been holding onto her ring for a couple of months and had hoped to find a perfect moment to propose. I wished them luck and congratulations. I also told them that they had made my day.

There is something so wonderful about a man still being able to plan out a proposal. Some say that the wedding and wedding preparations are mostly about the woman, but the proposal is all about the man. 

Do you think that this was their perfect cable car moment? Tell me about your proposal or your 'one day' perfect proposal? 

18 comments:

The Panic Room said...

Wow. On a cable car? Those things will jerk you around. I kept waiting to hear that he tumbled out and rolled down the hill.

Simplicity said...

That's so great! Poor guy! Nervous and being shaken about!

I'd love to go on a hike up a mountain and be proposed to at the top. Nothing makes me feel more alive than nature.

Laura said...

The Panic Room: Or maybe that the ring fell out of his pocket and rolled down the hill.

Simplicity: On top of a mountain would be amazing. That happened to a gilfrend of mine. They went on a hike and then he proposed on one knee.

Kyla @ The Simpsons said...

That's a super cute proposal- and yay for you to capture them on her camera for them!!

Laura said...

Kyla: Thank you muchly. It was lovely. Have a good day!

Debbie said...

I think that was a wonderful, romantic proposal. Good for him!

Unknown said...

I think that was soooooo romantic. My husband not so much, but he makes up for it in so many other ways! Isn't it really cool that someone elses cherished moment will stay with you always as happy memory for you! Xx

3 Bay B Chicks said...

This post totally made me cry. Hello, you witnessed the most perfect moment ever...all while carrying your groceries home. How lovely!

Hmmm...my marriage proposal was nothing like this. While my husband did cook one amazing meal, I was in my sweats and promptly fell asleep after dinner. I still woke up the next morning with a ring on my finger, though. :)

-Francesca

Angela Tolsma said...

WOW!! What a great story!!

That's awesome you took pictures for them!

Milltini said...

I love this post! what a cool moment to have witnessed. i think the perfect proposal for me would be that he did it in a low-key, meaninful moment where it was just us, then took me to a "dinner" to celebrate where i was surprised by a party with family and friends. i think it would be wonderful to share the moment with the people i love most, but to also have that special moment for just us in terms of the actual proposal! but i'm not picky, i'll just be so honored when the day comes i think!

Char said...

what a gorgeous story

Laura said...

Debbie: He did such a great job.

Donna Marie: There is so much pressure on the guy to get this moment right. Either way I hope for everyone to have a wonderful marriage! Thanx for sharing.

Francesca: You are so not alone. I have a friend that was on anti nausea medicine when he proposed. When she woke up she asked him to propose again.

Laura said...

Namine: I just had to. I hope some of the pictures turned out :)

Millitini: I totally agree and would want it the same way. The proposal alone and then celebrating with loved ones. Thank you for sharing with me.

Thanx Char!!

Fancy Schmancy said...

That made me all teary!

Chatham said...

What a wonderful story!

My now husband proposed at the Boston Pop's Holiday Show. It was amazing! He confessed later that he had my ring for 4 months, trying to figure out the best way to ask me. So, I totally agree with the thought that it is the man's moment.

Laura said...

Chatham: I love your proposal story. So lovely. We just met a guy that flew his girlfriend of 12 years to Paris and she had no idea that she was leaving the country. He also had the ring for months but still waited until the second night in Paris to propose. There is no way I could keep such a great secret :)

Unknown said...

wow..what a sweet proposal!! I love seeing gesture of love...and people expressing love...it makes me dream that love does conquers all!!

My proposal was great....it was for New Years..we where in Austria..it was a cold night and everybody was outside drinking hot wine and watching the fire works...as I kissed him and wish him happy new year....I saw a little box..he bend on one knee...sadly I was so speechless that I could not hear much of what he was saying..just a buzz in my years...then I remember kissing him taking the ring and running to tell my best friend with tears in my eyes...that he proposed...that OMG we where going to get married...( let's say he had a lot of commitment issues so I thought this day was never going to happen)........My amor came running after me...and as I was sharing the story with my girlfriend said.."and..is it a yes?.you never gave me an answer.." clumsy me I did in my head..I just did not open my mouth I guess...

sorry if it was too long of a comment...I'll stop know!

Wallflower Diaries said...

Aww. It's true when we plan the weddings it's usually all about the woman. II always ask the man during the first interviews how did he "pop the question". Some are sweet, few are kinda lame but, they always seem proud of their story. This is a sweet one!