Monday, May 11, 2009

Come with me to a trip to the Napa wine country

I wanted to share with you some lovely pictures that we took on my birthday trip up to Napa Valley, California. The wine country is one of my favorite places. There is so much to learn from the hard working people who run the vineyards that produce the wines we love. 

Honey surprised me with this trip to Napa after we saw and loved the movie Bottle Shock. Bottle Shock is the real-life story of how the California's wineries garnered world recognition, after they won 'Judgment of Paris,' a wine-blind-tasting (or is it blind-wine-tasting) against the French. 

The photos below were taken at Chimney Rock Winery, Chateau Montelena Winery (the winning vineyard in the white wine section in the "Judgement of Paris" wine competition), Castello di Amorosa (the vineyard is a castle), and finally at Sterling Vineyards.








We took the last picture, shown above, at the Cliff Lede winery. I loved the gardens, their art gallery and their huge tabby cat that slept the entire time. What are some of your favorite types of wine?

13 comments:

Mrs Anne said...

what fabulous pics!

love the ♥♥ one!

honestly.. i'm not a wine fan, but the vineyards are lovely!

essbesee said...

happy birthday! what a great birthday gift. we went to the wine country for our honeymoon (almost 9 years ago). we went to chateau montelana and the sterling vineyards and a few other, great to see those pictures you posted. makes me want to go back.

Laura said...

Miss Anne: I am so glad you liked them! The vineyards are amazing :) So glad I could make you smile today.

Laura said...

sherri: Ah your honeymoon in Napa must have been lovely. Its such a wonderful place. Thank you for your comment!

Dollface said...

These pics are fabulous!! Do u have any suggestions for wine places in Santa Barbara?? xxoo

Char said...

I'm such a light weight that I only like pinot grigo or chardonnay.

glad you had a great time.

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures Laura...Ok now I have to add that to the places I want to visit...Xx

parlezvouskiwi said...

Wow - this looks gorgeous! Im moving to California soon so will have to make the trip to check this out :-)

Anonymous said...

I soooooo want to be there with Hubby right now!!!

Unknown said...

How fabulous!!! Sounds like you had a great time!! I love visiting Hess vineyard and and Domaine Carneros!! I am taking note of the ones you visited!!!
So happy you had a fab time!

Hannah said...

the montreal museum of fine arts has the heart sculptures in front of it too! (or it used to? i guess technically i haven't seen them in a year so they could have relocated to california?) http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfrankb/2953627458/

Anonymous said...

Love those hearts...really cute! Glad you had such a nice time. :)

Liz Mays said...

I don't know much about wine but that is some lovely country out there!