Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
During the next 2 and 1/2 months, I accepted a new job at an Advertising Agency. Everything felt like it was starting to turn around for me. During my agency interview, I let my new boss know that I would love to accept the job if it was OK that I leave on a trip in only 3 weeks. He asked me where we were going and then said I could go as long I went without pay. Since the upcoming trip was paid for by honey's company this felt to me like a win win. I got to start a new job and go on a great trip.
But still the dark cloud over my soon to be umbrella drinks was Honey telling his parents. They were not happy with his decision that he was taking me and so Honey couldn't be completely happy with his award. We made the decision to be honest with them and we didn't want to keep our trip a secret.
In my first 3 weeks of my new job, I had a count down to vacation. I was enjoying my new co-workers and learning about the advertising world. I kept my secret Hawaii adventure secret until we only had three days to go. I confided in an executive assistant 'Tammy' my good news. She was supportive and I made a mental note to bring her back a thank you present.
Not a lot of things are needed to pack for Hawaii. A camera, dress, hat, suntan lotion and a new bathing suit. I really should have packed nothing and bought my necessities there. I wondered where I could find a perfect hula skirt?!
Our trip to Denver had gone well so I wondered how our first real vacation would turn out. We also booked to go to Kauai for 3 days before flying to the Island of Oahu to join the rest of Honey's company. What islands have you been to sweetie?
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Gary Go is an amazing singer out of London and is starting to blow up in his music. Boy can he wear a suit and a pair of glasses. Check out this song that he performed Live at the Bedford. Trust me he sounds this good on his recordings as well. Another amazing song of his is 'Wonderful'. Whatcha think? Tomorrow I will post a link back post to the contest Five Questions so post so your questions soon K? :
Monday, March 23, 2009
Happy Monday to you! So my blogging friends I want to get to know you a little better. So I am reaching out to you with five questions that I hope you will answer on your blog. Isn't this a fun game of backwards Jeopardy? Can you hear the Jeopardy music playing in your head or is that just me? Post these five questions and your answers on your blog, link back to Under the Sheets-Shhh and comment back to me when your done. I promise to link to your post.
The Five Questions Are:
1) What gets you out of bed in the morning?
2) What scares you and how often do you think about it?
3) How important is making a home to you? For example do you like a home to meditate in, cook good food or have people over?
4) Where in the world would you like to travel to next?
5) (Just for fun...) *What's your favorite Anti Aging Skin Product?
Here are my answers to my own questions :)
1) Several things get me out of bed in the morning such as my alarm clock, my phone ringing or my need to exercise. Other mornings I am excited about going to work, writing something new or a coffee meeting with a friend. But my best answer is to see what the new day will bring. (Sorry I am such a morning person.)
2) I get scared when I think about losing my loved ones. This is something that I have learned to push out of my mind when I start to think about it late at night. I have experienced deep loss so it is my fear to feel it again. C'est la vie. Without dark there can be no light.
3) Making a home is very important to me and I need it to feel comfortable and safe. I want to smile every time I put my key in the door. The best compliment is when someone tells me that our place feels very homey.
4) Next I would like to travel to Italy. Italy has always been a dream for me to see. I identify with their food, wine, culture, clothes, care for family and incredible beauty. When are we leaving?
5) *I use Regenerist Deep Hydrating Cream by Olay as a night cream. This cream has a light scent and after two weeks my skin is really smooth and bright. Plus you can get it at grocery stores and pharmacies. It was just featured in this month's InStyle magazine.
Ok now its your turn to enter the five question link back contest and I am looking forward to reading your answers. Go on you can do it. Get rid of the Monday blues:)
Friday, March 20, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
This coconut rice recipe has become a fast favorite side dish. When I went home to Los Angeles and made it for my family, my little sister asked me if it was a side dish or dessert. Now that's a compliment coming from an eleven year old.
1 tablespoon butter
DIRECTIONS: First drain jasmine rice in a strainer for 15 minutes. Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add brown sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Then turn heat to high, add rice and stir until all grains coated evenly. Add coconut milk, chicken broth and water. Stir occasionally to prevent grains from sticking to bottom. When boiling, immediately cover with tight fitting lid, turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. (Remember to stir the rice occasionally or it will stick to the bottom.)
Remove saucepan from heat, but do not open lid. Let sit for 10 minutes. If you want to add coconut flakes while the rice is cooking, now toast them on a dry skillet over medium high heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Remove the flakes from the skillet as soon as coconut is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Put flakes over the rice. Coconut rice can be served with so many things. Such as chicken, steak, with pineapple or with a side of shrimp.
Maybe you can try this great and yummy recipe this weekend. Would you like our Brazilian shrimp recipe next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to swap recipes.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Friday, March 6, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Monday, March 2, 2009
Believe it or not my nickname as a child was 'smiles'. We spent our summers at overnight camp in Ontario. Yes, I know how shocked you must be to find out my nickname, but I giggled every time I was called 'smiles' by my fellow campers. I was that kid at camp that would smile as soon as I woke up in the morning. Pillows were thrown at my bunkbed as I jumped out of bed to start the new day. I saw the good side of people, saw the glass as half full and made the most out of the day. My face would hurt at the end of the day for smiling so much. It still does.
So the lucky winners of this contest will win Crest Whitestrips samples. What do you have to do to win? All you have to do is to tell me by commenting on this post your top three things that make you smile? Three lucky winners will be chosen on March 4th, 2009 and can email me their address at email@example.com to receive their fabulous prize. (Sorry only winners can be from the U.S. and Canada.)
I'll go first. Some of my top twenty things that make me smile are:
2) Drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows
3) The sound of a child laughing
4) I love rubbing noses like Eskimos
5) Eating a warm bowl of penne with pink (cream and tomato) sauce
6) Any kind of dancing
7) Birthday's (mine or yours. Bring some cake and I'm happy)
8) Putting on warm socks just out of the dryer
10) Finding and drinking the perfect glass of Pinot Grigio
11) Taking pictures
12) Finding new boutique stores
13) The smell just after it rains
14) Finding a nearby bakery that has chocolate Eclair's
15) Going home to Toronto
16) Watching horses gallop
18) Going to the Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning
19) I smile every time I ride a cable car
20) When I speak French. Oui, oui!
I hope you feel cheered up and have a wonderful day. OK, now it's your turn to tell me what makes you smile from ear to ear. All I need is three things, but I would love to read more. I will go put on my Crest Whitestrips to read your comments :)